Sunday, June 28, 2015

REVIEW : SAFE AT LAST - Maya Banks

 Buy Links:

Over the years, I have heard nothing but rave reviews for Maya Banks.  So naturally, I was thrilled when given the opportunity to review her newest release in the Slow Burn series - Safe At Last.  And given my weakness for a second chance romance, I was sure that this would be a home run for me.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  Don't get me wrong, the writing was great, and the story showed great promise.  Where the story struck out for me was in the content. 

First we are introduced to Zack Covington, former NFL star turned private security.  Zack is down on himself for having failed his first love and devastated at having lost her without a trace.  He's turned to security as a means to continue his twelve year search for her, even knowing there is a good chance that she is no longer among the living. 

Enter Anna-Grace Hill, a.k.a. Gracie, Zack's mystery love.  A chance meeting throws them in each others' paths, and Gracie is terrified.  Not only did Zack fail to protect, in her mind he is the cause of her destroyed life.  He orchestrated her demise, or so she believes.  She wants nothing to do with him, yet he won't leave her alone.  And the more time she spends with him, the more she is convinced that maybe her gifts of insight were what failed her and it was never really Zack's fault in the first place.

Sounds good, right?  Shows a lot of promise.  But here's where the book struck out for me.  Based on the length of this novel, I would have loved to have seen more depth to the story.  I struggled to really connect with the main characters.  We never learned more about them than their sadness or anger or confusion of the events that had or hadn't transpired between them.  For more than half of the book, it was a back and forth of Gracie's accusations and Zack's bewilderment.  When Gracie was finally forced to unveil the truth to him, Zack immediately disappeared, only to return in time for Gracie to have forgiven him.  End scene.  Happily ever after.

For me, this book was no more than a 3 star review.  I did like the bit of back of story we got about Zack's employers, and I would go back to read the first two in the series.  I don't fault the author at all for my mediocre feelings about the book, and I'm sure there are people who will enjoy Safe at Last immensely.  If you like a second chance romance with a truly angst filled back story, this will be the one for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment