Friday, March 21, 2014

Taking Chances by Molly McAdams

Buy Links : Amazon , B&N

Kricket's Chirps : 4 out of 5, wait, 5 out of 5, no... ( I just don't know!)

Ultimately, this story deserves more than 4 chirps, but I just can't bring myself to do it.  I'm selfishly holding a grudge against this story for drawing me in and breaking my heart like a filthy Casanova. 

So, Harper...p.s. LOVE the name...back on topic.  Harper has been sheltered, but not really.  One would expect a girl like her, who's grown up on base around military boys, to be a bit more experienced.  But she's not, which is the first surprise of the story.  She's been the tomboy, now she's a bombshell.  The men love her, fall at her innocent little feet right out of the gate.  But she doesn't lure them in with intentions of being skanky, nor is she even really looking for love and happily ever after.  She just wants to live her life on her terms, not answering to anyone, not depending on anyone.

Until Brandon.  He steals her heart, and gives her the first kiss she's been waiting for.  He's sweet, he's sexy, he's possessive (in a good way) - he's everything you think you'd want to spend the rest of your life with.  Or is he?

Maybe it's Chase?  Maybe you want to spend your life with the bad boy, the boy so afraid of commitment he keeps his bedroom locked up, and picks up multiple girls a night.  Of course, you want to reform him first, and keep him and all his tattooed, muscled gorgeousness all to yourself.  You want to have that chance to say you were the one, enough to stop his philandering ways.  That's what every girl wants, right?  To be somebody's everything?  

But there's Brandon, with all his sweetness, who most girls can't get to.  He's safe.  He'll never break your heart.

Chase will, but you wonder if the pain is worth it.  No pain, no gain, right? 

Ugh, see, I just can't make up my mind.  I so wish it wasn't such a tough choice to make.  Both of the men in Harper's life made me insanely jealous that I'm not a fictional character vying for their attention.  But, then again, I would never want to be in Harper's position.  She had two wonderful men who loved her, and she loved them both, but one just not as much as the other.  That alone would be difficult to deal with.

But here's the kicker...the reason I just don't know if I can give it the 5th chirp.  The reason I love and loathe Molly McAdams.  She MASTERED the art of pain in fiction.  She took a chance, and she made it work.  I can't tell you what that chance is, but I can tell you, I will never be the same after reading this, and despite the pain I feel even thinking about it, I still read it a second time (and sobbed just as hard),  If you've read it, you know exactly what I'm referring to.  

So, here's my question for y'all.  Do you prefer a traditional story, with a little bit of tears, or do you want a story that grips the hell out of your emotions and doesn't let go until that last tear has been wrung out?  Tell me why on the post below, and you'll be entered to win a $5 Amazon or B&N gift card, your preference. 

2 comments:

  1. I want the little bit of tears. Only once in awhile does a story and mostly the characters grab me that I don't mind the emotional journey but that doesn't happen too often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like a book that draws you in and grips at your emotions and i belive Molly McAdams did a great job with Taking Chances ive read it 3 times and ive cried everytime Taking Chances is one of my favorite books

    ReplyDelete