Monday, October 23, 2017

Review: SOMETHING IN THE WAY series by Jessica Hawkins

BOOK 1: SOMETHING IN THE WAY
PURCHASE LINKS

BLURB:

An epic, three-book saga of forbidden love coming 2017.

It was a hot summer day when I met him on the construction site next to my parents’ house. Under the sweat and dirt, Manning Sutter was as handsome as the sun was bright. He was older, darker, experienced. I wore a smiley-face t-shirt and had never even been kissed. Yet we saw something in each other that would link us in ways that couldn’t be broken...no matter how hard we tried.

I loved Manning before I knew the meaning of the word. I was too young, he said. I would wait. Through all the carefully-chosen words hiding what we knew to be true, through his struggle to keep me innocent, and through infinitely-starry nights—I would wait. But I’d learn that life isn’t always fair. That no matter how much you achieve, none of it matters if you suffer the heartbreak that comes with falling for someone you can never have. Because even though I saw Manning first, that didn’t matter. My older sister saw him next. 

REVIEW

This is the type of book (trilogy) that I want to tell everyone about, but at the same time I want to keep it my little secret. I have been keeping an eye on this series since the moment I read the blurb. I knew I HAD to read it, but knowing it was going to be a three book series, I held off until closer to the release of the third and final book, MOVE THE STARS (out October 23, 2017). And after finishing book 1, SOMETHING IN THE WAY in mere days, I am glad I waited because if I had to wait more than a month for the final book, I might not survive. This book had me in an emotional rollercoaster. I was mentally brought back to my youth remembering what it was like to have my first crush/love. All the hormones and feelings running rampant within me back then. If we could bottle up and sell that feeling, this book would be it. All the goodness and naivetΓ©s that comes with youth and growing up is what this book is about. In its simplest form, this book captured innocence to a T.

SOMETHING IN THE WAY was my very first Jessica Hawkins novel and I AM HOOKED, line and sinker. Jessica shot for the stars with this story and she made it. Manning and Lake’s story is emotional and compelling from beginning to end. It is a powerful love story that has the reader rooting from the beginning for this unlikely relationship. These two are truly destined to be together…just not now. This novel was forbidden at its finest. Their relationship was unattainable, but yet impossible to resist. This was a story about meeting “the one” too soon. It was about overcoming fears and learning how strong you are in doing so. It was about figuring out what YOU want in life, not what others want FOR you. It’s about growing up, but yet preserving your innocence. It was about finding your light.

I do want to say one thing…the blurb implies that this could be a love-triangle, but I never once felt it could be labeled that. It is hard to explain without giving spoilers, but YES, there is three people “involved” in this story, but not in that way. The method in which Jessica Hawkins writes this story is absolutely exceptional and I never once wondered WHO was going to end up with who. “He couldn’t tell me we’d be together one day, but he had to know the truth. You can’t move the stars. Manning and I were inevitable.” –Lake.

I would recommend this book to all angst-romance lovers! This story will have you bursting with emotions and grips you from beginning to end! I am planning to dive right into book 2, SOMEBODY ELSE’S SKY now!!

**Note: This DOES end on a cliffhanger

10 stars!


🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
BOOK 2: SOMEBODY ELSE'S SKY
PURCHASE LINKS

BLURB:

If I closed my eyes, I could still see them—all blonde sunshine, ocean-blue eyes, and long limbs. The glint of Lake’s gold bracelet. Pink cotton candy on Tiffany’s tongue. My scenery may have changed from heaven to hell, but some things never would: my struggle to do right by both sisters. To let Lake soar. To lift Tiffany up. The sacrifices I made for them, I made willingly.

A better man would’ve walked away by now, but I never claimed to be any good. I only promised myself I’d keep enough distance. If I’d learned one thing from my past, it was that love came in different forms. You could love passionately, hurt deep, die young. Or you could provide the kind of firm, steady support someone else could lean on.

Lake was everything I wanted, and nothing I could ever have. I was nobody before I knew her and a criminal after. The way to love her was to let her shine—even if it would be for somebody else.

Book two in the Something in the Way series.


REVIEW


Jessica Hawkins has officially set the bar for my angst standards! I have spent days trying to come up with the right words to convey how I feel about this book, but plain and simple, I’m emotionally depleted after finishing it. As a seasoned reader, I strive to find novels that can still do this to me. I CRAVE a book that can MOVE me and CONSUME me and this series has done just that. After finishing book 1, SOMETHING IN THE WAY, I knew that my heart would be run through the ringer, but I was NEVER prepared for HOW MUCH. I felt EVERYTHING! Every encounter, every stolen moment. Every thought. Every emotion. EVERY MOMENT, I FELT IT. SOMEBODY ELSE’S SKY was painful to read! (Again, this is a good thing because it meant I was feeling what the characters were feeling). I was brought to tears, I was extremely mad at times and I was also hopeful at times. I was suffering right along with Manning and Lake throughout the whole book. SO MANY emotions went through me while reading and I LOVED every minute of it.

And like I expected, all my hopes and dreams were SHATTERED at the end. The whole book was like offering me the world one minute and snatching it away the next. My heart splintered and broke. Just thinking about this story, brings an ache to my heart. This series is the epitome of loving someone you can’t have. #forbidden. I am positive book 3, MOVE THE STARS will completely obliterate my heart and I am also staying hopeful that it will be mended back together. I NEED Manning and Lake to find their HEA. GAH! Is it October yet???

**Note: This DOES end on a cliffhanger

10 emotional stars!

#BirdyNeedsHerGreatBear #ThisIsTheirStory #INeedTheStars2Move



🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

BOOK 3: MOVE THE STARS

PURCHASE LINKS

BLURB:
The highly anticipated conclusion to the Something in the Way series, a forbidden love saga.

Lake
It was a hot summer day when I met him on the construction site next to my parents' house. If I’d known then what I do now, would I have kept on walking? Manning was older, darker, experienced—and I’d trusted him when he said the story would only ever be about us. I’d held those words close and challenged fate, but I had lost.

A part of me is still that sixteen-year-old girl squinting up at Manning, but no matter how far I fall or high I soar, I’ll always be a bird without her bear and nothing without him.

Manning
When I close my eyes, I can no longer see her. The decisions I made were to push Lake in the right direction—away from me. But now that she’s gone, would I have made those same choices?

I’d walked away like I was supposed to. I’d kept my distance. I’d bent over backward to keep Lake pure, but she’s no longer that girl, and I don’t know if I can stay away anymore. I only know I don’t want to. She’s still everything I want and nothing I should ever have, but if anyone can move the stars, it’s her great bear in the sky. 


REVIEW:

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH MY LIFE NOW??? This is the most extraordinary and unforgettable forbidden love series I have ever read! Jessica Hawkins has officially ruined me and idk if I want to come back from it! #bookhangover. GAH! I’m finding it incredible difficult to formulate the proper words to describe how I feel about this novel and I mean that in the best of ways! This series has taken me (and the characters) through the ringer more times than I can count and I kept coming back for me. #AllTheFeels #Angst “Fix me. Tape my paper heart back together.” –Lake, MOVE THE STARS. That’s how I felt going into this novel. After finishing books 1 and 2, I was GUTTED! An emotional mess of a human being, I NEEDED their HEA and I needed it NOW!! #ThisIsTheirStory I could not fathom a world without these two characters finding their HEA, but at the end of SOMEBODY ELSE’S SKY, I will admit, I feared I wouldn’t get that. “He’d turned down real love because others would judge it. He refused to accept what he deserved unless it was bad.” –Lake, MOVE THE STARS. *tears* But I kept repeating to myself my mantra: #ThisIsTheirStory, and eventually, I knew deep down that they would find the right timing and be together for good. #BearAndBirdy4ever.

I have never more in my life ached for a couple to be together as I did Lake and Manning. I have waited 2 FREAKING NOVELS for them to FINALLY be together! Talk about torture! This final installment was an emotional journey that tour my heart out and mended it back together slightly damaged, but definitely stronger. This story was raw. It was real. It was emotional. It was EVER  LOVING messy! And it was PURE PERFECTION. This story taught me to believe in second chances. If the love is real, it will always find a way! It showed me that love is all about timing. You may find your soulmate, but at the wrong time, don’t lose hope! #LoveIsEnough It showed me that you are not the “sins of your father”. Their mistakes are not yours. But it also taught me that you have to forgive yourself for the mistakes that you have made. It showed me that the decisions we make, can have consequences and affect others in ways we did not intend. I will not be giving a summary because I don’t want to risk spoilers, but just know, that the way in which Jessica Hawkins wrote this story was remarkable and absolutely unforgettable! The characters were one of a kind and one of the most in-depth and detailed characters I have ever read. The angst, drama, pain, anger, HEARTBREAK, joy, LOVE, sorrow, HOPE…ALL of it I could feel! I physically ached when Lake or Manning were hurting and same goes for when they were happy. Jessica did immense justice to these characters and I am incredible happy with how things turned out. #ThisIsJustTheBeginning

This series will forever be cemented into my being and I will carry it with me wherever I go. I will be looking toward the sky from now on at night looking for my Big Bear. #SummerTriagle This was my first books/series by Jessica Hawkins and I WILL be recommending it to everyone and I WILL be reading her backlist because if I can expect this kind of raw emotional response from her stories, then I must read more from her! ASAP!

#TeamLanning4ever #nostars4Tiff #BirdyandBear4ever 


10 stars!
xoxo, Vivian πŸ’‹


🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

No comments:

Post a Comment