Thursday, June 5, 2014

Red Hill - Jamie McGuire

Kricket's Chirps : 4 out of 5 

When the world ends, can love survive?

For Scarlet, raising her two daughters alone makes fighting for tomorrow an everyday battle. Nathan has a wife, but can’t remember what it’s like to be in love; only his young daughter Zoe makes coming home worthwhile. Miranda’s biggest concern is whether her new VW Bug is big enough to carry her sister and their boyfriends on a weekend escape from college finals.

When reports of a widespread, deadly “outbreak” begin to surface, these ordinary people face extraordinary circumstances and suddenly their fates are intertwined. Recognizing they can’t outrun the danger, Scarlet, Nathan, and Miranda desperately seek shelter at the same secluded ranch, Red Hill. Emotions run high while old and new relationships are tested in the face of a terrifying enemy—an enemy who no longer remembers what it’s like to be human.

Set against the backdrop of a brilliantly realized apocalyptic world, love somehow finds a way to survive. But what happens when the one you’d die for becomes the one who could destroy you?


I'm the type of reader that devours a book in 24 hours.  I've never pushed myself to finish any book that I couldn't get into in that amount of time.  Until Red Hill.

The concept of this story terrified the living daylights out of me.  It was my love for Jamie McGuire's writing in Beautiful Disaster, and the peer pressure of my two book besties, that convinced me to give this novel a chance.  I shamefully admit getting this one down took me longer than a month.  When I did finally reach the end, I was left wondering WTH?!?!?!

Jamie is brilliant.  I'm envious of her imagination, but frightened of what actually goes through her mind.  Not only was there fictitious horror in this story, but there was everyday horror that we either overlook or pray it never touches our lives - if we're lucky enough not to relate to it.

So many times I found myself crying with the characters throughout this book, and also trying to find the predictability factor.  When I would think I had it figured out, the rug was pulled out from under me.  The end was not what I expected it to be at all.  When I mentioned it to my BBs, one of them outright said "She never promised a happy ending."  The other "It wasn't necessarily a HEA, but it was happy."

Here's what it was for me.  DISTRESS!!  I don't want to spoil anything, but I will explain this about me for those that are wanting to read this one.  I cannot watch end of the world movies without thinking of the aftermath.  World ends in upheaval = who's gonna clean up that mess?  Small town left to repopulate the human race = is the ratio of non-related men and women favorable?  

That said, if you're the type of person who enjoys zombies, or someone who would like to step out of their reading comfort zone, this is the book to do it with.  It was engaging, suspenseful, and descriptive.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment